• "Sponge Beth" is my Name!


    When friends give us monikers this reflects two and only two things. They either see something great or something grave in us. I always hope that it is because they see something great. I think this way because I am more of an affirmation and hates calling names that often bring disgrace to a person though it may be intended as a joke. I do take names seriously!

     The name “Sponge Beth” was self-inflicted. This resulted from a unique experience in my long-time quest of knowing and seeking God. Growing up in a so-called Christian home, with parents in ministry, there is that underlying principle that one’s Christian growth is directly proportional to the height of one’s knowledge of God. This is the very reason why every Christian continually pursues the quest of knowing God whether through formal education or personal discipline. And sad to say, I have observed that the more degrees are added on one’s name, the more they lose their relevancy in the task of building the Kingdom.    

    Some years back, I was using the devotional book “Experiencing God” by Henry T. Blackaby. In one of my readings, my heart was pounding and craving to know God more and to experience His fullness. I was reasoning and pleading with God that He reveals Himself to me in a very special way because it had been my desire to know Him better and to understand His ways and His plans.

    “Lord, I really want to know You more, the fullness of You,” I prayed, “please… reveal Yourself to me in a simple way that I can clearly understand.”

    Deep within my heart, in His still and small voice, He replied, “Beth, visualize Niagara Falls. Imagine I am the Niagara Falls; tons and tons of My love; tons and tons of My grace; tons and tons of My faithfulness;  tons of tons of My forgiveness and tons of tons of every bit of My character. These never stop but continue to flow and pour daily even through the changes of the seasons. I am constant!”

    As I visualized Niagara Falls in my mind, I slowly understood what He meant. God is great! He is overwhelming! He is Immeasurable! He is All Powerful! He is Magnificent! He is Beautiful! He is More than Amazing! He is Constant! Human words are not enough to describe Him!

    As I continue to absorb all these truths, I meekly inquired, “Lord, if you are like the Niagara Falls, then what am I?”

    “You are a kitchen sponge!”

     I smiled at His reply. So true indeed! What is a kitchen sponge in comparison to Niagara Falls? Nothing! I then realized that my mind cannot contain God! He is an infinite God and man is so limited, so finite and so minute.

    I continued my inquiry, “Lord, if I am a kitchen sponge, You are the Niagara Falls, then what lesson do You want me to learn?”

    “As a kitchen sponge, you will never be able to contain the whole Niagara Falls,” He simply replied, “but you have the choice whether to stay away from it and dry up or immerse yourself in it and experience its cool rushing waters and be constantly fresh and filled.”

    It was so liberating! As Beth, I will never be able to fully comprehend God in His fullness. I am just a spot! A speck! A dot! Yet, God has given me the choice to either stay away from His overflowing love, grace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, mercy… or, immerse myself in it. I choose the latter.

    I have learned that I need not exert my brains to understand Him because my neurons and synapses will explode with the information overload. God value our relationship with Him rather than our quest of Him. He simply desires that we enjoy the experience of daily walking with Him in this journey. And as our relationship with Him grows deeper He reveals more of Himself to us. This is what experiencing God is all about!

1 comments:

  1. lingling said...

    At one Kababaihang Kabalikat ng ABCCOP Congress, you spoke of this... So many messages I have heard and read, but this is one lesson I always will treasure and remember about you. I'd rather be a sponge under God's "water" of unlimited love and grace than dry up to be of no use, too!

Post a Comment