• Today... I Choose to Ask Right!



    Even as a little girl, I was disturbed with the manner how God answers our prayers. I was taught in Sunday school that there are three answers to prayers; “Yes”, “Wait” and “No”. Honestly, I love to have the “Yes” answer because it gives me the feeling that I am A-Ok! I struggle with the “Wait” answer because it means that I am not ready to receive what I prayed for and that I need to clean my act. Having a “No” answer, on the other hand means that I did not qualify to His standards to have my prayers answered. So I struggle everyday to do good to make sure that God will truly answer my prayers.

    “If ye ask any thing in my name, I will do it.” (John 14:14).

    Isn’t this a great verse to claim whenever we pray?  So many times I used this verse as magic words like abracadabra to open up God’s portal to overflowing riches and wisdom. Whenever I pray, I put great emphasis on my ending clause… in Jesus name!, yet, end up frustrated. What’s wrong with me?  Have I not said it right? Have I missed something on these magic words? What’s wrong with my prayer?

    What does praying in Jesus name really means? C.H. Spurgeon explained, “I may not ask for anything in which I cannot put Christ’s hand and seal. I dare not use my Lord’s name to a selfish or willful petition. I may only use my Lord’s name to prayers which He would Himself pray if He were in my case.” (from Faith’s Check Book by C.H. Spurgeon)

    What a powerful rebuke! Therefore, whenever we pray, it must have Christ’s seal of approval. This means we need to inquire of Him first and seek His will before bringing it to the Father’s throne of grace. If our prayers are “signed and sealed” by our Savior, then it will be delivered.

    Therefore, selfish petitions will always receive a “NO” answer. So, why pray for something that we know is against the very will of our Savior? Why pray for something that is against the very nature of our God?

     “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you.”  (John 15:7)

    Let us then learn to pray right so that whatever we ask will be given to us!    

0 comments:

Post a Comment